The Healthy Lifestyle web page provides parents and other caregivers with tools for healthy living, including tasty, low cost menus and recipes that meet the food guidelines. The web page has a Calorie Burner Chart, the MyPyramid Tracker, and the EatSmart. Play Hard. tracking Card. Food and Nutrition Service developed these resources to help parents make the MyPyramid guidance a part of their daily lives and set a good example for kids.
The Healthy Lifestyles Web site compliments messages from the Eat Smart. Play Hard program and is tailored for adults, parents and caregivers. This Web site serves as a gateway to tools and information supporting nutrition education.
The page is divided into 6 categories:
- “Getting Ready”- provides tips on how to safely and effectively get started with healthy lifestyle changes.
- “Make it Quick and Easy”- links users to Smart Start recipes, a week’s worth of pre-planned menus using these recipes, and tips on thrifty and nutritious menu planning. Each Smart Start recipe is presented as a PDF file.
- “Tools to Help You”- includes a menu planning table, Calorie Burner chart and link to MyPyramid Tracker.
- “Making Smart Choices”- has helpful hints and useful tools, such as a How Much Do I need to Eat? page which clarifies serving sizes from MyPyramid, quick tips to start making healthy lifestyle changes, and smart shopping tips.
- “Play Hard Your Way”- a section devoted to physical activity, outlining tips on how to make family time an active time, and how to help the whole family stay motivated to stick with health choices.
- “Keep Score”- links users to a printable Eat Smart. Play Hard. tracking card.