Part of the SNAP-Ed Strategies & Interventions Toolkit.*
This resource from the California Department of Public Health contains lesson plans and workbook activities that support children (Grades 4-6) and families to increase their:
- Access to fruits and vegetables;
- Participation in physical activity;
- Preferences for fruits and vegetables;
- Consumption of locally grown fruits and vegetables; and
- Familiarity with California-grown fruits and vegetables.
Each lesson has a theme that addresses one of these goals directly while focusing on a California grown fruit or vegetable. The Harvest of the Month produce items are apples, winter squash, broccoli, oranges, carrots, and berries.
The curriculum integrates the Nutrition Competencies from the California Department of Education’s Health Standards, as well as the Common Core Language Arts and Math Standards. Each lesson incorporates movement to reinforce the importance of physical activity, to increase student engagement, and to provide a useful context for lesson content.
- Pilot Tested