National Program Evaluation and Reporting System
(N-PEARS) for SNAP-Ed
States will submit SNAP-Ed FY 2024 State plans and FY 2023 annual reports in N-PEARS.
The Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) will launch the National Program Evaluation and Reporting System (N-PEARS) on May 22, 2023. N-PEARS is a result of a broad strategic initiative to improve SNAP-Ed data collection and reporting. N-PEARS represents updates to SNAP-Ed State plan and data collection requirements that support FNS’s vision of high-quality, accessible national program data and allows for an improved understanding of program effectiveness and accountability.
N-PEARS provides all State and implementing agencies with a single, streamlined, web-based tool for submitting annual SNAP-Ed State plans and consolidated annual reports. N-PEARS replaces all current SNAP-Ed planning and annual reporting processes beginning with FY 2024 State plans and FY 2023 annual reports.
As directed by the Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018 (“2018 Farm Bill”, Pub. L. 115-334, PDF, 1.4MB), FNS, with input from multiple stakeholders, worked to improve the SNAP-Ed data reporting process by providing States with a robust electronic, online reporting system. In June 2021, using funds authorized in the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021, FNS entered into a cooperative agreement with the Kansas State University Research Foundation (KSURF) to develop and maintain N-PEARS. N-PEARS is managed by FNS in conjunction with KSURF and their subcontractor Canopy, LLC, the N-PEARS system developer.
- State and implementing agencies will have free access to N-PEARS to submit State plans and annual reports.
- N-PEARS replaces current SNAP-Ed State plan submission processes beginning with FY 2024 Plans. States must submit FY 2024 SNAP-Ed State plans through N-PEARS by August 15, 2023.
- State and implementing agencies may continue to use their existing systems to track and manage data throughout the year prior to submission in N-PEARS. The SNAP-Ed Data Collection Template is an optional resource available to agencies to aid in data collection and tracking that aligns with N-PEARS.
- States should continue using existing processes for all other SNAP State Plans of Operation and data submission.
FNS will offer live virtual support sessions, pre-recorded training videos, and other technical assistance opportunities for all users.
Pre-recorded videos in the system will provide a basic overview of N-PEARS.
Live virtual support sessions will be available soon after N-PEARS launch. The initial sessions will be for State agency users, with later sessions for all users. FNS will offer these live sessions at multiple times.
Written materials, workflow visuals, and assistance by phone or email will be available to all users.
State and implementing agencies can request technical assistance appointments through FNS SNAP-Ed Regional Coordinators.
The Canopy Client Success Team will be the point of contact for system user support.
Phone: 785-789-3199; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The N-PEARS Support page has more information for State agencies, implementing agencies, and SNAP-Ed Regional Coordinators.
- N-PEARS will collect program data and annual report narratives. States must submit FY 2023 SNAP-Ed annual report through N-PEARS by January 31, 2024. Details on FY 2023 annual report submissions will be shared later.